Friday, March 02, 2007

Corn Flower Power

I did this pastel from one of my flower photos taken this past summer. Corn flowers, dandelions, buttercups, iris, and grape hyacinth are all nostalgic for me. They remind me of my pre-school days in LeRoy, New York, where I spent many hours outside contemplating flowers, worms and those curious little mud-ball clusters that formed after it rained. I remember, also, the bitter taste of the "ooze" inside a dandelion stem (glad it wasn't poisonous). I don't remember, however, the time I ran out into the street and was almost hit by a truck...until Sparky saved me. Did that really happen Sparky? or is that just another story to keep me beholden to you?? Soft Pastel on 9 X 12 Colorfix paper.

2 comments:

Brenda Yarborough said...

I've never worked with pastels - but it seems to me that you've got the blue absolutely RIGHT ON. It's such a beautiful soft shade of blue and the greens - oh my, glorious!

Linda said...

Perfect flower! We always called these bachelor's buttons, but I think that was just regional...